Job Series Number: 0603
Physician Assistants assist a physician by providing diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services to inmates in Federal prisons under the guidance of the physician. The work requires knowledge of specific observation and examination procedures, and the ability to perform diagnostic and therapeutic tasks. The work does not include the full scope of interpretation of medical findings requiring the full professional background of the licensed physician.
Physician assistants assist in the examination and observation of patients by performing such duties as taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during hospital rounds and clinic visits. As directed by a physician, physician assistants carry out special procedures; for example, they give injections or other medication, apply or change dressing, perform lumbar punctures, or suture minor lacerations.
Pay Levels GS-07, GS-09, GS-11
- Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
- Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Skill in making diagnoses selecting and providing appropriate treatment for medical or surgical emergencies (life or death or severe injury), as indicated until emergency assistance arrives
- ability to assess a patient's condition and to initiate appropriate treatment
- knowledge of pharmaceuticals to treat disease and illness, to include a knowledge of the mechanism of action, side effects, toxic nature, and drug interactions of medications
- ability to interpret diagnostic tests in order to determine therapeutic treatment plans
- ability to deal effectively with patients
For consideration at the GS-07 level
- An accredited physician assistant educational program (certificate of completion, associate degree, or bachelor's degree).
- A bachelor's degree in a related health care or health related science and graduation from an accredited physician assistant educational program.
For consideration at the GS-9 level
- A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-07 grade level and graduation from an accredited physician assistant educational program as described above
- Completion of the Master of Physician Assistant Studies
- Completion of a master's degree in a related health care or health related science and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Examples of related master's degree programs include, but are not limited to, Master of Medical Sciences, Master of Public Health, Master of Biomedical Sciences, or other related major field of study
For consideration at the GS-11 level
- A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-09 grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program as described above
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in a related health field and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Examples of related doctoral degree programs include, but are not limited to, public health, allied health field, public health education, or other related health science
We are hiring for this position at many locations across the country.
Normally when a vacancy is announced, it's for a job opening at a specific location. However, because this position is in high demand it's considered an "open-continuous" announcement. That means you get to choose your top two facilities that you want to work at. Here's how it works:
Apply for this position using the usajobs.gov website as you would do with any other federal job.
Physician Assistant Open-Continuous Announcement
Select any two locations that you want to work at.
View all of our locations
- After your application is accepted, you will be added to a standing register of qualified candidates.
- When a position becomes available at one of the facilities that you selected, you will be considered for that position, and if you are selected we will contact you with an offer.
It's that simple!
Join the leader in Correctional Health Care
We value your unique contribution to our collaborative team medicine approach of providing health care. Come and experience a level of clinical diversity and continuity of care not commonly available in the private sector.
- A supportive, safe, and secure environment with opportunity for growth and advancement.
- A competitive federal government salary and benefits, including health care and retirement.
- Potential for loan repayment.
- Potential for recruitment incentives.
- Flexible work options.