Make a difference on the inside.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons is committed to providing a candidate experience where applicants feel prepared to tackle the application process. Follow the steps below to apply and start your career on the inside.
Create an account.Your first step when applying for a position is to register with the website www.usajobs.gov - the Federal Government's official one-stop source for federal jobs and employment information. If you have never used USAJOBS you must first create an account, otherwise sign in to your existing account.
Find the right job for you.On USAJOBS, research job announcements for the position you are interested in and decide which one fits you best:
View all BOP job announcements
Prepare for and fulfill application requirements.
- Read the full announcement on USAJOBS prior to beginning your application. Ensure you have all required documents ready and have met all qualifications.
- Use the USAJOBS resume template to create your resume for this application. Preview the application assessment questions and have them open when you build your resume.
- When answering questions in the application, choose the question that most applies to your experience and include as much detail as possible in your response. Use the full word count allowed for your response.
- Ensure that all answers you provide in the application are accounted for in your resume.
- Once you've submitted your application, ensure you have been categorized as "Best Qualified." This designation will allow you to be considered for a position. If you have not received this category, go back through the questions and your resume to ensure you have included the information requested according to the tips above. Resubmit your application once you have made updates.
For any questions before, during or after the application process, please reach out to our staffing unit via phone (972) 352-4200 or email GRA-HRM/BOP-HIRES@bop.gov.
Upload your documents.After selecting a job announcement on the USAJOBS website, click the "Apply Online" button located in the top right of the announcement webpage. This will take you to a page where you can upload your resume and any applicable documents.
Your resume should include the following information:
You must include the following job information:
- Announcement number
Provide us with personal information about you:
- Full Name
- Mailing Address
- Day Phone Number
- Evening Phone Number
- Social Security Number
Include your education history:
- High school - School Name, City, and State
- Colleges or Universities - School Name, City, State, Major, Dregrees Received (type and year)
List any relevent work experience - for each item include your:
- Job title
- Duties and Accomplishments
- Employer (name and address)
- Supervisor (name and phone number)
- Starting Date / Ending Date
- Hours (per week)
Other relevent qualifications you should include:
- Job-related Training Courses (title and year)
- Job-related Skills
- Job-related Certifications and Licenses
- Job-related Honors and Awards
If you are currently a Federal employee, include a copy of your most recent performance appraisal that reflects performance in a job related to the job for which you are applying.
In addition, if you are applying for a vacancy based on your competitive status or eligibility for reinstatement to competitive Federal service, you must include your "Notification of Personnel Action" (SF-50), which verifies that you are a career or career conditional employee in the competitive service or verifies that you are eligible for reinstatement to the competitive service.
When you are finished uploading documents, click the "Apply for this position now!" button.
Complete your application.You will be directed to our agency's website called "BOP-Careers." This easy-to-use system simplifies how we retreive information about you, saves you time by reducing redundant documents, and saves you money by eliminating fees associated with mailing your documents.
Please complete the following items on the BOP-Careers website before you finalize and submit your application:
- Create a new BOP-Careers account or log in to an existing account. Please note that the BOP-Careers account user name and password is not tied to your USAJOBS account login information.
- Update your personal information, demographic information, and your military service/veteran preference point eligibility.
- Click "Apply to this Vacancy" button and answer the questions about the specific announcement you are applying for.
- Click the "Finish" button when you are ready to complete the application process; however, please note that after doing so your application is finalized. That means if you want to make any changes beyond this step you will have to reapply.