Job Series Number: 1710
Teachers must be able to teach inmates including those having environmental, cultural, and economic disadvantages. Special requirements and skills are necessitated by the learning objectives employed to teach particular disadvantaged groups. Knowledge and the ability to implement a variety of innovative or advanced instructional techniques are essential.
The incumbent must use clinical teaching which involves the following ongoing phases:
- Task analysis and planning
- Tracking of progress
- Modification of curriculum
He/she must possess professional knowledge of the principles, theories, practices, and techniques of education in combination with a thorough knowledge of one or more subject matters in which instruction is given.
Pay Levels GS-11
Degree and related coursework
You have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution that included or was supplemented by supervised student teaching, and at least one course in each of the following areas:
- General psychology
- Human development
- History and/or philosophy of education
- Teaching methods at the learning level of the position to be filled (for example elementary or secondary learning level)
For secondary school teaching positions, in addition to the degree and course requirements above, you must also have had at least 24 semester hours (or equivalent) of course work in each of the principal fields of instruction.
Combination of education and experience
You have a 4-year course of study leading to Bachelor's degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university, but don't meet the course requirements in section A above. You still qualify if you have at least 1 full academic year of professional teaching experience completed at the elementary or secondary school level as appropriate to the position to be filled. You must have had full and primary responsibility for the instruction of assigned students under general supervision in a recognized or accredited school or other accredited educational institution. Your responsibilities must have included all of the following:
- Preparation and presentation of lesson plans
- Evaluation of students' progress throughout the learning period
- Determination of the students' success or failure according to established criteria
Certification or licensure
You have a teacher certification or licensure in a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
For special education teaching positions In addition to the degree and course requirements covered in section A. (see above), applicants must also have had at least 24 semester hours (or the equivalent) of course work in special education that included at least one course covering the teaching of exceptional students and courses in the appropriate field(s) of specialization.
We are hiring for this position at many locations across the country.
Normally when a vacancy is announced, it's for a job opening at a specific location. However, because this position is in high demand it's considered an "open-continuous" announcement. That means you get to choose your top two facilities that you want to work at. Here's how it works:
Apply for this position using the usajobs.gov website as you would do with any other federal job.
Select any two locations that you want to work at.
View all of our locations
- After your application is accepted, you will be added to a standing register of qualified candidates.
- When a position becomes available at one of the facilities that you selected, you will be considered for that position, and if you are selected we will contact you with an offer.
It's that simple!
Do your career justice
Come and work for a one of the most unique agencies in the United States Department of Justice where each employee's day-to-day performance makes a difference. Our family and career-oriented agency promotes integrity, diversity, and professional development.
- A supportive, safe, and secure environment with opportunity for growth and advancement.
- A competitive federal government salary and benefits, including health care and retirement.
- Potential for recruitment incentives.
- Flexible work options.