Job Series Number: 0007
Pay Levels GS-05, GS-06
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Ability to supervise others
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to react in crisis situations
For consideration at the GS-05 level
A full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited school.
At least 3 years of full-time general experience performing duties such as:
- Providing assistance, guidance, and direction to individuals
- Counseling individuals
- Responding to emergency situations
- Supervising or managing
- Teaching or instructing individuals
- Selling products or services (persuasive commissioned sales)
Examples of occupations where this general experience may have been gained:
- Teacher or Instructor
- Worker with juvenile delinquents
- Parole/Probation Worker
- Welfare/Social Worker
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Air Traffic Controller
- Supervisor or Manager
- Persuasive salesperson in commissioned sales (automobile, insurance, etc.)
- Security Guard
- Children's day care facility worker
For consideration at the GS-06 level
Nine semester hours or 14 quarter hours of graduate study from an accredited school in:
- Criminal Justice
- Social Science
- Another field of study related to the position such as law
The equivalent of at least 1 year of full-time specialized experience performing duties such as:
- Ensuring that individuals confined in a correctional or mental health facility adhere to rules and regulations
- Responding to domestic disturbances
- Apprehending and arresting individuals violating the law
Examples of occupations where specialized experience may have been gained:
- Correctional Officer
- Detention Officer
- Police Officer
- Border Patrol Agent
- State Trooper
- Park Ranger
- Deputy Sheriff
- Supervising inmates in a jail
- Mental health residential facility worker
We are hiring for this position at many locations across the country.
Normally when a vacancy is announced, it's for a job opening at a specific location. However, because this position is in high demand it's considered an "open-continuous" announcement. That means you get to choose your top two facilities that you want to work at. Here's how it works:
Apply for this position using the usajobs.gov website as you would do with any other federal job.
Correctional Officer Open-Continuous Announcement
Select any two locations that you want to work at.
View all of our locations
- After your application is accepted, you will be added to a standing register of qualified candidates.
- When a position becomes available at one of the facilities that you selected, you will be considered for that position, and if you are selected we will contact you with an offer.
It's that simple!
Do your career justice
Come and work for a one of the most unique agencies in the United States Department of Justice where each employee's day-to-day performance makes a difference. Our family and career-oriented agency promotes integrity, diversity, and professional development.
- A supportive, safe, and secure environment with opportunity for growth and advancement.
- A competitive federal government salary and benefits, including health care and retirement.
- Potential for recruitment incentives.
- Flexible work options.