Job Series Number: 0060
Chaplains administer, supervise, and perform work involved in a program of spiritual welfare and religious guidance for inmates in a correctional setting. All Chaplain vacancies are full time positions.
If you are an experienced, credentialed minister with an ecumenical spirit, there is a special community that needs you. The Federal Bureau of Prisons can provide you with an opportunity to do challenging, spiritually satisfying work.
Pay Levels GS-12
- Ordination or membership in an ecclesiastically recognized religious institute of vowed men or women
- Current ecclesiastical endorsement by the recognized endorsing body of the faith tradition
- Willingness to provide and coordinate programs for inmates of all faiths
- Necessary credentials and the ability to provide worship services in his/her faith tradition
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- A Master of Divinity degree or the equivalent education from an American Theological School (ATS) accredited residential
seminary or school of theology:
- 20 graduate hours of theology
- 20 graduate hours of sacred writings
- 20 graduate hours of church history or comparative religions AND
- 20 graduate hours of ministry courses
We are hiring for this position at many locations across the country.
Normally when a vacancy is announced, it's for a job opening at a specific location. However, because this position is in high demand it's considered an "open-continuous" announcement. That means you get to choose your top two facilities that you want to work at. Here's how it works:
Apply for this position using the usajobs.gov website as you would do with any other federal job.
Select any two locations that you want to work at.
View all of our locations
- After your application is accepted, you will be added to a standing register of qualified candidates.
- When a position becomes available at one of the facilities that you selected, you will be considered for that position, and if you are selected we will contact you with an offer.
It's that simple!
Do your career justice
Come and work for a one of the most unique agencies in the United States Department of Justice where each employee's day-to-day performance makes a difference. Our family and career-oriented agency promotes integrity, diversity, and professional development.
- A supportive, safe, and secure environment with opportunity for growth and advancement.
- A competitive federal government salary and benefits, including health care and retirement.
- Potential for recruitment incentives.
- Flexible work options.