Job Series Number: 0602
Clinical Directors (Medical Officers) are responsible for clinical care provided at the institution. As the licensed provider, the Clinical Director provides clinical oversight and is responsible for all health care delivered. It is the incumbent's responsibility to consult with other health care providers to provide training and mentoring and to be directly involved with the evaluation and treatment of severely ill and medically complex patient care problems.
Duties may include:
- Reviewing applications and credentials for membership to the medical staff
- Interviewing prospective physicians and mid-level providers
- Implementing and monitoring in-house Continuing Professional Education (CPE) training
- Maintaining the quality of health records
- Supervising Medical Officers (if applicable)
- Evaluating patient care through an ongoing quality assurance program that identifies problems and their resolution
Pay Levels GS-14, GS-15
For purposes of this standard, graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. Listings of accredited programs are published yearly in the Directory of Residency Training Programs and the Yearbook and Directory of Osteopathic Physicians.
For consideration at the GS-14 level
- Examines and treats ambulatory patients at community hospital and appropriate admitting physician.
- Provides medial and/or minor surgical treatment to patients.
- Writes prescriptions, including those for narcotics. Conducts examinations of personnel as required for appointment, separation, food handling, disability retirement, etc.
For consideration at the GS-15 level
- Experience in making decisions relative to consultation with members of medical and institutional staff.
- Experience in providing clinical care, interviewing prospective physicians and mid-level providers, supervising Medical Officers, and evaluating patient care through an ongoing quality assurance program that identifies problems and their resolution.
- Experience in providing clinical oversight and is responsible for all health care delivered.
We are hiring for this position at many locations across the country.
Normally when a vacancy is announced, it's for a job opening at a specific location. However, because this position is in high demand it's considered an "open-continuous" announcement. That means you get to choose your top two facilities that you want to work at. Here's how it works:
Apply for this position using the usajobs.gov website as you would do with any other federal job.
Clinical Director Open-Continuous Announcement
Select any two locations that you want to work at.
View all of our locations
- After your application is accepted, you will be added to a standing register of qualified candidates.
- When a position becomes available at one of the facilities that you selected, you will be considered for that position, and if you are selected we will contact you with an offer.
It's that simple!
Join the leader in Correctional Health Care
We value your unique contribution to our collaborative team medicine approach of providing health care. Come and experience a level of clinical diversity and continuity of care not commonly available in the private sector.
- A supportive, safe, and secure environment with opportunity for growth and advancement.
- A competitive federal government salary and benefits, including health care and retirement.
- Potential for loan repayment.
- Potential for recruitment incentives.
- Flexible work options.