A foundation built on solid ground.
We excel at our mission because we have a strong value system at our core. Combined with
a comprehensive strategic plan, our agency has a clear vision of how to accomplish the
correctional goals and operational objectives we have set out to achieve.
It is the mission of the Federal Bureau of Prisons to protect society by confining offenders in the controlled environments of prisons and community-based facilities that are safe, humane, cost-efficient, and appropriately secure, and that provide work and other self-improvement opportunities to assist offenders in becoming law-abiding citizens.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons, judged by any standard, is widely and consistently regarded as a model of outstanding public administration, and as the best value provider of efficient, safe and humane correctional services and programs in America.
This vision will be realized when... (Rollover each item below learn more)
- The public is safe
- Prisons are safe
- Inmates successfully reenter society
- We are a good steward of public funds
- Our staff are exceptional
- Our staff are treated equally
- Our staff are respected
- Our staff are safe
- Our staff have superior judgement
- Our staff are happy
We are correctional workers first, committed to the highest level of performance.Respect
We embrace diversity and recognize the value and dignity of staff, inmates and the general public.Integrity
We demonstrate uncompromising ethical conduct in all our actions.
- A safe environment for both staff and inmates
- Secure institutions to confine offenders and protect the public
- Those skills building programs we can afford, to offer inmates the opportunity to live crime-free lives
- Service and stewardship to the public and a continued tradition of excellence
- Staff who are ethical, professional, well-trained, and diverse.